Saturday, July 2, 2016

An Awakening of Good Christian Music

Yesterday I was staining our back deck and listening to the music on my iPhone. As I listened, several things happened: (1) my mind was set at ease; (2) my heart was lifted to the throne room of God; and (3) I became very grateful to the wide range of Christian music that the Lord has allowed our generation to hear and enjoy.
Several years ago John MacArthur came and spoke at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary for the Spurgeon Lectures. In one of his sermons he expressed that in his estimation we are in the midst of a Christian revival or Awakening and may not be aware of it. He cited the numbers of people listening to his sermon podcasts from all over the world, then referencing that he is not the only Evangelical pastor whose sermons are being downloaded and listened to all across the globe.
While the spoken Word is definitely the primary agency through which is communicated the things of God, I want to give a shout out today for the Word in song!
One of the more impactful songs that I heard yesterday was Jeremy Camp’s “Revive Me.” It sounded like a song taken right out of the Book of Psalms. I also enjoyed Blue Highway’s “Wondrous Love,” which I had newly added to my collection.
During my listening session while staining, I also heard Kings Kaleidoscope’s “One Righteous Man,” Lecrae’s “Real Talk,” several portions from Handel’s Messiah, Sebastien Demrey’s and Jimmy Lahaie’s “Cherchez D’Abord,” and John Swaim’s “Brethren We Have Met to Worship.”

Yes, we live in a blessed generation. Not only is good preaching available to us at the touch of a screen, but we also have God-glorifying music available to us as well. I agree with John MacArthur. We are living in the midst of an Awakening of Christianity, facilitated by the availability of good preaching and good singing!

No comments:

Post a Comment