Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Three Experiences Volunteering with Need Him, by Derek Robinson



Is volunteering for a Christian Chatroom actually doing anything for the Kingdom? You may think there wouldn’t be much fruit. There are multitudes of resources for people to access. Wouldn’t they just google a sermon or lecture about what they are going through? Why don’t they just look up a YouTube video on following Jesus?
In my 40+ hours, I have been humbled and encouraged in the conversations that I have had with seekers, believers, and atheists. People are going to the chats, and they are asking difficult, personal questions that take a prayerful, pastoral heart. Here are 3 experiences I have had with volunteering for Need Him.
  • Seeing People Follow Jesus

One story in particular still captivates me. One woman came onto the chat discussing her past of growing up in church and hearing the Gospel. She told herself that she didn’t desire to trust in Father God because her earthly father was abusive. She wanted nothing to do with Christianity… until she had twin babies. She got to see the interaction between the father of her new babies and decided that God the Father really could be good. After we chatted, she appeared to genuinely repent and trust in the work of Jesus, and she planned to go to a church to get baptized. 
  • Shepherding Believers to Stronger Faith

One woman wanted some further pastoral guidance after meeting with her own pastor about a difficult decision she would have to make about her family and faith. She poured out her heart about her son’s rebellion and wanted some Scriptural guidance and prayer. We studied the Scriptures, talked about her son’s potential problems, and prayed for repentance.
  • Defending the Faith against Atheists

In my short time of chatting on Need Him, I have come across numerous atheists wanting to debate the existence of God—It’s more of an outright attack and intellectual bullying on their part, but I digress. These conversations have been incredibly sharpening for my own faith, and I have been able to live out 1 Peter 3:15 in my personal walk. Of course, my goal is to share faith in Christ with them, and I do, but all the while getting to take what I learned in my Apologetics Class and use it in honest defense of the faith.
God has decided to use chat rooms to further his kingdom and strengthen believers, and I have enjoyed being on the frontlines of ministry in the sidelines of a chatroom. Maybe you could become a Need Him volunteer and serve His kingdom in this seemingly insignificant but truly impactful way?

No comments:

Post a Comment